Berne Public Library History
The Berne Public Library first opened its doors to the public on March 14, 1935. The library resided in several locations throughout the downtown area over the years, moving into the "Auditorium" on Sprunger Street in 1960.
The library purchased the building from the city and later, the library underwent a complete renovation that was finished in 1992. Further renovation completed in 2000 resulted in the Children's Room and Heritage Room in the lower level of the library.
Perhaps the most distinctive features of the Berne Public Library are the Swiss inspired exterior and the "Jungle Room" in the Children's Department which features a 53 by 11 foot mural painted on the walls by many volunteer painters from the community.